Subha SundararajanM.D. Request An Appointment
After graduating Summa Cum Laude from the College of New Jersey with a Bachelor’s of Science degree, Dr. Subha Sundararajan obtained her medical degree at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. While in her third year of medical school, she was inducted into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor society, and she then graduated at the top of her class with many honors and distinctions.
Dr. Sundararajan completed her medical residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she served as an Assistant Chief Resident. She then completed her fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weil Cornell Medical Center. During her fellowship, Dr. Sundararajan received training in advanced endoscopic procedures including Endoscopic Ultrasound, Endoluminal Stenting, and Pancreatic and Biliary Disease related procedures such as ERCP, Celiac Plexus Block techniques, and Pancreatic fluid collection drainage methods.
Dr. Sundararajan has received numerous honors and awards for her outstanding academic and professional achievements. She is Board-certified in both Internal medicine and Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and is part of many Gastroenterological Societies. In addition, Dr. Sundararajan has co-authored multiple publications for major GI journals, and has co-authored many abstracts presented at National and International Scientific Meetings. After completing her fellowship, she joined Red Bank Gastroenterology in 2012.
She is an Attending Physician at Riverview Medical Center and serves as the Director of Advanced Endoscopy at Riverview Medical Center and Red Bank Gastroenterology. She has been key in directing the Endoscopy Unit at Riverview and in obtaining new state-of-the-art equipment for the hospital.
A proud mom of two, Dr. Sundararajan derives an immense sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from both her personal and professional life. She enjoys being an active member in the community as well as the medical world. Dr. Sundararajan participates in community outreach activities, and is also an avid Indian classical dancer that has been performing for over 25 years. She takes pride in her commitment to patient care, and in her unique heritage and background.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound/Fine Needle Aspiration (EUS/FNA)
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoluminal stenting
- Undergraduate Education: The College of New Jersey, Bachelor of Science with Honors
- Medical Education: Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Doctor of Medicine
- Residency: New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, Assistant Chief Resident, Included training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and the Hospital for Special Surgery
- Fellowship: New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, Fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Training at New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center, Columbia University Medical Center and Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Training in advanced endoscopic procedures including Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS), Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR), luminal stenting, single balloon enteroscopy and Barrett’s esophagus ablation techniques
- Board Certified in Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Riverview Medical Center, Red Bank, NJ, Attending Physician
Honors and Awards
- NYSGE Fellows Presentation of the Year Award
- Glasgow-Rubin Certificate of Commendation for Academic Achievement
- RWJMS Academic Excellence in Internal Medicine and Excellence in Biochemistry
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Medical Society
- Robert Wood Johnson Alumni Award
- Robert Wood Johnson Student Merit Scholar
- Phi Kappa Phi National Graduate Scholarship
- Bristal-Myers Squibb Biology Departmental Award
- Golden Key and Blue Key National Honor Society
- Becton Dickinson Excellence in Biology Award
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- New Jersey Outstanding Scholarship
- Kedia P, Kumta NA, Widmer J, Sundararajan S, Cerefice M, Gaidhane M, Sharaiha R, Kahaleh M. Endoscopic ultrasound-directed transgastric ERCP (EDGE) for Roux-en-Y anatomy: a novel technique. Endoscopy. 2015 Jan 9.
- Kahaleh M, Turner BG, Bezak K, Sharaiha RZ, Sarkaria S, Lieberman M, Jamal-Kabani A, Millman JE, Sundararajan SV, Chan C, Mehta S, Widmer JL, Gaidhane M, Giovannini M. Probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy in the pancreatic duct provides direct visualization of ductal structures and aids in clinical management. Dig Liver Dis. 2014 Nov 13. pii: S1590-8658(14)00791-9
- Sundararajan S, Weine DM, Kumta, N. Use of esophageal fully covered self-expanding metal stent (FCSEMS) with interventional radiology pigtail catheter placement to treat an esophageal-respiratory fistula with abscess formation. Poster Presentation, American College of Gastroenterology, 2013. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, Volume 108, Supplement 1, S458, 1531.
- Sarkaria S, Sundararajan S, Kahaleh M. Endoscopic Ultrasonographic Access and Drainage of the Common Bile Duct. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2013 Apr;23(2):435-52
- Sarkaria S, Sethi A, Rondon C, Lieberman M, Srinivasan I, Weaver K, Turner BG, Sundararajan S, Berlin D, Gaidhane M, Rolshud D, Widmer J, Kahaleh M. Pancreatic necrosectomy using covered esophageal stents: a Novel approach., J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Feb;48(2):145-52
- Shah MB, Sundararajan S, Crawford CV, Hartono C. Malakoplakia-induced Diarrhea in a Kidney Transplant Recipient Transplantation, 2010 Aug 27; 90(4):461-462
- Kedia P, Kumta N, Widmer J, Sundararajan S, Cerefice M, Gaidhane M, Sharaiha R,Kahaleh M. Bypassing the Bypass: Endoscopic Ultrasound-Directed Transgastric ERCP (EDGE) for Roux-En-Y Anatomy. Poster Presentation, Digestive Disease Week 2014
- Kahaleh M, Turner B, Bezak K, Sharaiha R, Sarkaria S, Lieberman M, Jamal-Kabani A, Millman J, Sundararajan S, Chan C, Widmer J, Gaidhane M, Giovannini M. Probe-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy (pCLE) in the Pancreatic Duct Provides Direct Visualization of Ductal Structures and Aids in Clinical Management. Abstract Oral Presentation, Digestive Disease Week 2013
- Sivananthan G, Sundararajan S, Gambarin M. “High Prevalence of Colon Adenoma in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease Undergoing Transplant Evaluation. Poster Presentation, American College of Gastroenterology 2012.
- Sarkaria S, Weaver K, Turner BT, Sundararajan S, Lieberman M, Gaidhane M, Kahaleh M. Pancreatic Necrosectomy Combined with Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy and Jejunal Arm Placement: A Synergistic Approach. Poster Presentation, Digestive Disease Week 2012.
- Sundararajan S, Marimuthu V, Skef W, Pochapin MB. A Rare Gastrointestinal Manifestation of Burkitt’s Lymphoma. Poster Presentation, American College of Gastroenterology 2011.
- Tyberg A, Sundararajan S, Zeffrem N, Ando Y, Aden B, Jacobson IM, Gambarin-Gelwan M. Cirrhosis and Barrett’s Esophagus: Diagnosis and Prevalence. Poster Presentation, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases 2011.
- Tyberg A, Sundararajan SV, Shah M, Pochapin MB. Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia: A Rare Case of Protein Losing Enteropathy. Poster Presentation, American College Gastroenterology 2010.
- Narang T, Sundararajan SV, Carlson A, Schnoll-Sussman F. Hereditary Nonpolyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC): A Pilot Study Assessing Understanding and Attitudes Towards Prenatal Testing. Poster Presentation, American College of Gastroenterology 2009.
- Sundararajan SV, Schamberg NJ, Gonzalez SA, Scherl EJ, Bosworth BP. Ileal Calprotectin Levels Predict Colon Endoscopic Activity in
- Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Poster Presentation, American College of Gastroenterology 2008.
- Schamberg NJ, Sundararajan SV, Gonzalez SA, Scherl EJ, Bosworth BP. Novel Application of Calprotectin to Predict Colonic Histology in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Poster Presentation, Digestive Disease Week 2008.